PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to perform semiskilled work in the care and maintenance and operation of motorized heavy equipment of municipal grounds, cemetery, ball fields, parks, recreation and public grounds, golf course fairways and greens.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Operates heavy construction equipment.
2. Maintains and services equipment.
3. Performs minor maintenance tasks on motorized equipment such as cleaning, oiling and greasing, and other minor maintenance as needed.
4. Coordinates and supervises construction activity.
5. Operates hand driven, walking, power or riding power mowers, and other light equipment.
6. Prepares and maintains the athletic fields and playing surfaces, golf course, cemetery, parks, recreation and public grounds.
7. Trims bushes and low branches of trees and hauls trimmings and other debris.
8. Rakes and levels sand traps and removes grass and weeds from edges.
9. Utilizes practical knowledge set by Federal certification and regulations for pesticide applications.
10. Mixes chemicals and fertilizers according to predetermined formulas and operates spray rig to apply these chemicals and fertilizers to grass for the control of weeds and grass diseases.
11. Waters greens and fairways.
12. Repairs broken water pipelines or replaces valves for sprinkling system and performs related work to maintain efficient operation of greens and fairways watering systems.
13. Changes greens cups, moves tee markers, services ball washers, raises golf ball markers, spot waters greens and collars, helps oversee greens and fairways, applies top dressing and sand to greens.
14. Instruct seasonal staff on proper procedures for maintenance.
15. Performs custodial and general worker duties as required.
16. Other duties as assigned.
||Gallatin Parks & Recreation
|Posting Start Date:
• High School Diploma/GED.
• Must have appropriate pesticide applicator certificate.
• Previous work experience with grounds keeping or laborer involving the care and maintenance of grounds; some experience in the operation of the equipment to which assigned.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• General knowledge of the standard methods, practices, tools and equipment used in developing and maintaining cemetery, public grounds, and/or the fairways and greens of a golf course.
• Skill in the use and operation of mowers, spray machines and other standard tools and equipment used in the care and maintenance of a golf course.
• Skill in mixing chemicals for treating turf diseases.
• Knowledge of material safety data sheets. Knowledge of OSHA or TOSHA regulations as they relate to the performance of duties or duties of groundskeepers.
• Ability to safely operate equipment used for the job of a groundskeeper.
• Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods including under unfavorable weather conditions.
• Ability to maintain written records and inventory of various supplies and tools.
• Ability to make decisions to accomplish specific tasks and operations within the scope of the position.
• Ability to interact with the public effectively, professionally and politely, and with discretion.
• Ability to effectively communicate with and establish and maintain an effective working relationship with department staff and other personnel.
• Ability to understand and effectively carry out written and oral instructions.
• Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work the allocated hours of the position.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects, and some heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally. Physical activities include climbing, stooping, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions. Also includes the necessity to communicate by talking, hearing/listening. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus, for operation of machines and equipment, determination accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observation of general surroundings.
The employee is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions including, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, dust/dirt, grease/oils, paint fumes, moving parts of machinery and extreme weather conditions but hot and cold. Work is generally outdoors.
The City of Gallatin is a drug-free equal opportunity employer, with policies of non-discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, military service, or political affiliation.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
||This listing expires on: 6/24/2023