The Board of Directors is seeking an experienced and visionary Executive Director for one the nation’s leading park and recreation professional organizations and its charitable foundation. The ideal candidate will have a passion for parks and recreation, a proven track record of leadership and management, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The Executive Director of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society (VRPS) is the leader of a park and recreation professional association focused on communication and connectivity with its members, stakeholders, and corporate partners. VRPS is a private, non-profit organization, founded in 1953. The ED oversees the financial and administrative operations of the Society. To this end, he or she recommends and formulates Society policy, executes its business, manages ongoing finances, and cultivates effective relationships within the Society and with outside organizations. The organizational structure includes one full-time Office Manager and volunteers, directly supervised by the ED.
- Develop and implement strategies to advance the mission and goals of the Board of Directors and Foundation Board
- Provide leadership and direction to the VRPS staff, Boards of Directors, Foundation Board, service areas, resource groups, and planning committees
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with key stakeholders, including members, businesses, government agencies, and legislators
- Manage and monitor the Society budget and daily financial functions, including but not limited to contractual services, investments, grants, sponsorships, and public/private partnerships or in-kind service delivery
- Ensure the organization's compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Represent VRPS at the state and national level
||Virginia Parks & Recreation Society
|Posting Start Date:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in nonprofit/association management, parks and recreation, leisure services, or related field preferred
- Robust experience working with nonprofits, government officials and related organizations
- Exceptional management skills, with the ability to lead and motivate staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated success in event planning, fundraising, grant writing, association management, membership growth and retention, and strategic planning
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to engage and inspire a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes related to parks and recreation
- A minimum of three years of association management experience is preferred
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP), Certified Park and Recreation Executive (CPRE) and/or Certified Association Executive (CAE) credentials preferred within three years of hire.
The Virginia Recreation and Park Society is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Salary: $70,000- $90,000
Retirement 15% of salary in SEP, vested after 3 years
Application deadline: June 12, 2023
To apply for this exempt position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
||This listing expires on: 6/12/2023