Athletic & Event Assistant
This position will be responsible for a variety of duties within the athletics and events division of Smyrna Parks & Recreation. Duties and responsibilities will include: participation and implementation of various events and programs, assist in coordination and supervision of tournaments, oversight of various recreation leagues, set up and take down of numerous town events, and routine upkeep of parks & recreation facilities. Position reports to Maintenance Supervisor - South.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job. Other duties may be required and assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in execution, set up, take down, clean up, and planning of numerous special events, programs, and tournaments.
- Helps to oversee numerous recreation league games, functions, and meetings as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation of athletic fields such as lining, prepping, dragging, etc.
- Assists in maintaining a scheduling system for all athletic facilities in the park system.
- Assists in coordinating the use of athletic facilities by local leagues and the town citizens.
- Participates in planning, organizing, and scheduling of camps, programs, special events, school events, and other events as they relate to the park system.
- Responsible to represent the Parks Department during town events, programs and general operations.
- Attends a variety of meetings relative to the programs and events in the park system.
- Attends various recreation league board meetings, when assigned
- Participates in the creation and release of departmental brochures, articles, reports, and other media related materials.
- Responsibly operates town equipment and vehicles.
- Position will routinely take lead role on evening and weekend shifts.
- Assists in monitoring field usage and recording observed information.
- Assists in routine upkeep of park facilities including minor maintenance tasks.
- All other duties as assigned by Maintenance Supervisor.
- Must be willing to work evenings and most weekends and to perform different tasks in all types of weather
- Provides coverage in absence of other personnel
- Promotes teamwork environment; assists co-workers when necessary
- Conducts behavior in a professional manner at all times to reflect positively on other staff members and customer’s perception of town facilities
- Helps maintain the cleanliness of complexes, ball fields, and other park properties
Athletic & Event Assistant
||Smyrna Parks & Recreation
||$35,963 - $39,559/annually
|Posting Start Date:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Parks & Recreation or related field from accredited college or university
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in recreation programming, maintenance, athletics, or related field
requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s License
Data Utilization: Must be able to balance various scheduling requirements across numerous locations/facilities. Requires a working knowledge of the requirements and conditions necessary for each group/league in regards to providing the proper facility/setting.
Human Interaction: Requires the ability to exercise excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and assertively lead groups of various sizes and ages. Requires the ability to work both independently and with a group under minimal supervision.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Material Utilization: Computer, printer, various office machines (phone, calculator, etc.) golf cart, utility cart, and truck.
Verbal Aptitude: Ability to express ideas and information clearly, concisely, and effectively both orally and in writing. Must have strong public speaking and facilitations skills; must be able to present information before large groups or organizations.
Mathematical Aptitude: Must have basic mathematical aptitude. May require adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, computing rate, ratio, and percent, the ability to interpret data in various forms such as graphs, charts, etc.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of athletics and events knowledge when performing responsibilities and duties, and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to lift, pull, or push 50 lbs. although greater weights may be encountered. Must be able to stand, bend, swim, stoop, crawl, stretch, climb, and walk. Must have sufficient vision and hearing to read or interact with people. Must have the dexterity and fitness sufficient to safely and proficiently operate, utilize, and maintain equipment and tools related to tasks.
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally. Must be able to assume and effectively organize a large number of duties, often concurrently.
Environmental Factors: Essential functions are sometimes performed in an office environment as well as field environment which may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dust, odors, and temperature and noise extremes. Periods of heavy workloads are common. Conditions are generally agreeable (office environment). Will at times be exposed to elements of nature during field work including extreme heat or cold, rain, snow, and other unfavorable or inclement weather conditions.
Learn more and apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/townofsmyrna/jobs/3930894/athletic-event-representative?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
- Implement and assure adherence to Town of Smyrna’s policies and procedures regarding Equal Employment Opportunity
- Adheres to Town of Smyrna initiative on business ethics and conduct
- Adheres to federal/state laws and regulations regarding MSDS, OSHA and EPA compliance
- Mandatory overtime is sometimes required, as well as varying work hours including evenings, weekends, and some holidays
||This listing expires on: 3/24/2023