Parks and Recreation Manager
The Parks and Recreation Manager performs professional and administrative work in developing, coordinating, and implementing the City's Parks Recreation Plan. Works with citizens, staff, and outside agencies to recommend acquisition, development, or capital maintenance projects. Performs a broad range of functions to complete assigned projects including property analysis, negotiating easements, private development review, project management, grant writing, community outreach, parks, and open space planning, and maintaining inventory of park and open space lands and facilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works under the direction of the Public Works Deputy Director or their designee.
1. Lead responsibility for the research, preparation, presentation, and monitoring of the
department's grant program including complex and technical Federal and State grant
2. Serves as a team leader for, or personally carries out special surveys and studies,
projects or reports; serves on special task forces and committees; makes
recommendations on administrative or operational policies, procedures, and systems,
and prepares reports, policies, procedures, and other written material.
3. Assists in the selection and administration of consultant contracts. Coordinates requests
for proposals, consultant selection processes, and monitors contracts, expenditures and
4. Assists in land acquisition for parks and open spaces, including identifying parcels for acquisition and acquisition negotiations. This includes coordination with property owners, property acquisition staff, city attorney, city advisory boards, planning commission, city commission, appraisers, title companies, consultants, and granting agencies.
5. Prepares a variety of budgets, program plans, contract documents, financial and
6. Manages the cost control process related to project funding and grant awards; provides
status reports; monitors use of project funds; approves expenditures; coordinates project
and grant reimbursement; supervises consultant/contractor/vendor/staff payments.
7. Coordinates inter-departmental efforts relating to park improvement plans and projects;
represents department interests in inter-departmental forums; interacts with City
8. Reviews and coordinates projects submitted by other City departments, government
agencies and private sector for impact on existing and proposed City parks and open
9. Assists in the development and implementation of Park, Recreation, and Open Space
Plan and Capital Improvements Program.
10. Organizes graphic and written materials to be used in presentations to the City Commission, Planning Commission, community interest groups, clients, boards and commissions, City staff, City Manager, and agency representatives.
11. Assists with park development projects including involvement in design, bidding and
construction phases; works with consultants during the design phase to insure
implementation of comprehensive plan goals, budgetary or grant requirements.
12. As assigned, serves as staff liaison and/or participant at meetings concerning projects or
proposals; explains or negotiates needed changes on issues involving significant public
policy, organizational, or legal liability.
13. Serve as Department lead staff on city commission-appointed committees with a focus on parks, open spaces, special events within park properties, recreation fields and courts, and the Joe Glasscock Community Center.
14. Performs other related work of similar nature or level as assigned.