Building and Grounds Maintenance Worker
Performs semi skilled work in a variety of areas; grounds keeping; electrical, plumbing, carpentry or refrigeration and heating.
- Mow or edge lawns, using power mowers or edgers;
- Maintains and adjusts sprinkler systems, provides irrigation services, maintains irrigation equipment, and removes graffiti;
- Shovel snow from walks, driveways, or parking lots and spread salt in those areas;
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls;
- Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes;
- Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws;
- Gather and remove litter;
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools;
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders;
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, ball fields, or other grounds features;
- Clean or prepare sites to eliminate possible hazards;
- Provide proper upkeep of restrooms, shelters, picnic tables, buildings, houses, roads, pads, and other infrastructure;
- Load, or unload materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations according to directions;
- Inspect, clean, repair and maintain equipment, including light maintenance and servicing equipment;
- Prepare time and work reports;
- Provide safe and pleasant environment for public;
- Perform trash and debris removal, cleaning of facilities and restrooms;
- Work to improve customer service;
- Work with other departments to ensure efficient and effective service delivery;
- Performs a variety of tasks, including the maintenance and repair of city owned structures and facilities;
- Performs rough carpentry tasks such as framing walls, roofs, and partitions; remodels existing structures by demolishing walls and constructing new walls and doors;
- Performs other carpentry tasks such as cabinet making, finish carpentry, insulation, suspending new ceilings, dry wall, and painting;
- Repairs, replaces, installs, and maintains electrical systems including lighting fixtures, motors, pumps, power disconnects, circuit breaker panels, fuses, photo cells, wiring and conductor raceways;
- Repairs, replaces, installs, and maintains refrigeration and heating systems including water heaters, compressors, relays, contactors, motors, valves, belts, blowers, humidifiers, pneumatic systems, etc.;
- Performs room maintenance functions including roof cleaning and inspections, repairing splits, punctures, and roof drains on all types of roof systems;
- Performs plumbing maintenance and repairs including, replacing or installing drains, feed lines, vents, flush valves, copper pipes, unplugging drains;
- Performs welding and metal fabricating tasks while maintaining, building and repairing structures and equipment;
- Prepares surfaces fro painting by sanding and cleaning; covers or removes graffiti from city building by caulking, scraping, power washing, paint color matching, and painting;
- Works and coordinates with contractors plans and specifications; reads and performs duties from blue prints;
- Participate in the maintenance of athletic fields (baseball, softball, football) and related work as required;
- Display courteous, civil, and respectful behavior to all persons and shall make every effort to meet the needs of citizens requesting assistance;
- Refrain from the use of abusive, indecent or profane language or gestures in the workplace, in the performance of duties or in the presence of a member of the public;
- Perform duties in a manner that is fair, impartial, and without prejudice toward any person or group;
- Refrain from arguing unnecessarily with any person or otherwise showing a lack of self-control, ridicule, or defame any employee, elected official or any other person or any agency of the City of Columbia;
- Display responsibility for attendance and promptness and report to the work area on time.
- Performs other building maintenance projects such as hanging pictures, repairing and replacing locks, moving furniture, assembling and hanging steel shelving, install fences, sandblasting and repairing windows;
- Obtains price quotes for materials;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Building and Grounds Maintenance Worker
||Columbia Parks & Recreation
|Posting Start Date:
- Principles and practices of one or more skilled trades in the maintenance/construction trades field;
- Electrical and refrigeration operations and equipment, such as components, symbols, schematics, compressors, relays, motors;
- Types of lumber, pain, concrete, pipe fittings, and plumbing supplies;
- Tools associated with grounds keeping, construction, carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrician, and refrigeration;
- Federal, state and local codes and regulations specific to construction and maintenance, herbicide applications, worker safety;
- Energy management systems;
- Current fire, electrical and building codes;
- OSHA safety regulations;
- Use of a variety of power and hand tools.
- Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws;
- Deal courteously with other city employees and the public;
- Interpret assignments from blueprints and sketches;
- Follow oral and written instructions of maintenance computer reports;
- Coordinate visual and muscular dexterity in the operation of a variety of heavy equipment and hand-held tools;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs;
- Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings;
- Ability to write clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information;
- Ability to follow instructions, responds to management direction; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan;
- Ability to meet scheduling and attendance requirements.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Commercial Driver’s License preferred;
- Restricted use Pesticide Certification;
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification and first aid certification.
- six months to twelve months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two year-college or technical school; or one year to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is qualifying.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must regularly required to lift and/or move, push or pull up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move, push or pull up to 50 pounds without assistance and up to 100 pounds or more with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is always exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock and explosives. May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
More information and apply https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/302538?fbclid=IwAR2y84UBOzXwVVOKVMqoIa2S8q7xwedvBtpfertJSbHdgX8rjv8m8xH7B6I
||This listing expires on: 7/28/2020